Monday, January 2, 2012

Seriously awesome New Years Eve!!!







One more quick thing about Suriname on New Year's eve, it is amazing! There are street parties everywhere with live bands and fireworks! The entire day is a huge party. At noon on New Year's eve they set off lines of fireworks that are nearly as long as a city block! The fireworks are extremely loud and you need to wear a something to cover your face because of the smoke and flying objects. :) Pretty intense! At 11pm everyone returns to their families and they spend time giving thanks for the year that has come to an end. After midnight the parties begin again. We brought in the New Year together as a group at a local guesthouse. It was weird to not watch the ball drop on tv and to count down to midnight in Dutch! Tien, negen, acht, sefen, seis, fief, vier, dri, twue, ein!!!!! Woo! Don't check my spelling on those and it's even worse if you hear my attempt at speaking Dutch.

Again, Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.



Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm headed to Suriname in South America for the next two years. I'll try my best to keep a log of my adventures in South America.